Vegan “Paella” Style Rice
360g of alborio rice (dry weight)
1 cup of unsalted cashew nuts
1 red bell pepper
1 small white onion
2 tsps of garlic purée
A decent glug of olive oil
Approximately 8 frozen broccoli florets
A couple of handfuls of frozen peas
1 sachet of paella spice mix*
Salt, pepper, and ají (chilli) to taste
(*if you don’t have paella spice mix, use the following: a vegetable stock cube, 2 tsps of smoked paprika, 1 tsp of garlic salt, 1 tsp of tumeric, and a few strands of Saffron)
1. Peel and finely dice the onion, then gently fry in a little olive oil.
2. Boil water as the onion softens.
3. Rinse the rice and add to the pan, stirring so the grains are coated in oil and onion.
4. Now, add enough water to cover the rice.
5. Take a cup and mix up the paella spice mix and garlic purée, using hot water. Pour over the rice.
6. Now add the cashews, broccoli, and peas. You may need to add more water at this point.
7. Allow the pot to come to the boil, then reduce to a medium heat.
8. Keep watching the pot. You will need to continously add more hot water as the rice absorbs the stock. Use a wooden spoon to move the rice off the bottom of the pot, so it doesn’t stick and burn.
9. While you’re pot-watching, deseed and slice the red pepper, and cut the courgettes into half medallions, then gently fry in a little olive oil.
10. After around 20 minutes, the rice mixture should be cooked. Remove from the heat, and serve by placing a portion of rice in the middle of the plate, with sliced red peppers on top and courgettes around. Add salt, pepper, and ají (chilli) to taste.